Re: More on SSH problems....

On 5 Aug 2002 at 13:12, Corinna Vinschen
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 03:50:21AM -0700, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> > > So it's not the sshd server chroot'ing (which isn't implemented
> > > in the official ssh sources anyway).  The problem might be related
> > > to the fact that sshd and the shell script (another bash, that is)
> > > is still running not chrooted (using the Cygwin DLL in /bin) and
> > > the child bash is running using the Cygwin DLL in the chroot jail.
> >
> > This sounds about right because it doesn't
> > dump the connection until after it logs on.  But,
> > it is the sshd server that dumps the connection,
> > not ssh. (In the client side: "Connection to
>
> Sure.  Think about the situation.  Only ssh is running on the client
> side.  sshd -> bash -> script -> chroot -> bash is running server side.
>
> > localhost closed by remote host").  This is now
> > getting me very confused!  Unless something is
> > being transmitted wrong, but it only seems to
> > matter when public key authentication is being
> > used.  Perhaps something needs the dll
> > constantly in the client?  Bad news!
>
> Patches gratefully...

I'd consider it, if I knew where to even
begin to start looking!

The thing is, I just tried it where I
changed the line for the alternate
user in /etc/passwd to NOT execute the
chroot shell, rather /bin/bash,
like normal.

Guess what, it still happens!  What's
going on, here?  It seems related
directly to public key authentication,
because this now works if I allow
PasswordAuthentication and
PermitEmptyPassword.

Also, changing back to chroot'ing with
the empty password, it works.  It
MUST be related somehow to the
public key authentication.  Something
isn't configured right, or a file is in the
wrong place or wrong
permissions, or something... maybe
SSHD doesn't like a different user
than the real UID, but you say that this
works for you...