Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.

On 2 Aug 2002 at 17:37, Max Bowsher wrote:

> > In any event, yes, you're not allowed to publicly contradict me.
>
> Umm... free speech?

Umm...anti-defamation laws? Trying to make someone you personally
dislike look like an idiot in a public setting by contradicting or
ridiculing them qualifies as defamation, by the way.

> > Given the context it is an attack.
>
> You state that Windows works in a particular way. I correct you, because it
> doesn't work like you think. Sorry, I don't see where the problem is.

The problem is that you are trying to tar me some kind of idiot! I
will not stand for someone publicly painting me with that kind of
brush. I expect the same kind of responses other people get when they
come here posting with problems with gdb or whatever. Other people
aren't treated so rudely as I have been, and other people don't get
followups that attempt to make them look like idiots. Therefore I
shouldn't be treated that way. So stop doing it.

> Hmm, I wonder why? The _only_ difference between you and other listmembers that
> is visible to the list is the content of your postings. I.e., it is what _you_
> have said on the list that has caused this different treatment.

No, the difference is that someone has taken a personal dislike to
me, for whatever reason. The reason is irrelevant. My postings are
within the bounds of what's reasonable -- in particular they are
civil. Therefore, whatever subjective feelings you may have you are
expected to respond civilly and not in a way that seems designed to
cause trouble and to sully my name.

> > Problems or no problems I don't want to bother with the enormous
> > amount of sheer nitpicking work required to propagate the change
> > consistently to everywhere the old name appears, and the risk of
> > breaking something if I miss one obscure instance. Especially not to
> > satisfy the needs of one subsystem, when everything else on Windows
> > outside of Cygwin seems to find my existing user name just peachy.
>
> I agree. Changing your Windows username is not the ideal solution to this
> problem.

Then why didn't you just say so, instead of appearing to disagree and
insulting my intelligence with every posting?

> However, I wish to establish the fact that the amount of sheer
> nitpicking work that you refer to is zero.

Bull. If I change my username to Zaphod Beeblebrox, to make things
consistent I'd have to rename my home directories (Windows and cygwin
both) to Zaphod Beeblebrox. Then there's all the MRU lists that refer
to files in Paul Derbyshire directories. Then there's any
configuration file that refers to such a directory, and anything else
of that general sort... and of course /etc/passwd. And if I don't do
these things? Configuration files left referring to the old directory
will break things. MRU lists would break and I'd have to re-find a
bunch of documents to get them the way they should be again. If the
directories are not renamed, Windows will start up complaining that I
don't have a home directory, or some file or other can't be found, or
it will create a new one for me and then I have to move my files to
it, fix the MRU lists, or live with having two of the damn things...
If the Cygwin one is not renamed we're back to square one anyway.
The only way it could be done with zero hassles would be to do some
kind of global search and replace, but that's doomed to failure --
there's no way to global search and replace the file names in the
filesystem itself, the contents of text files and the contents of the
registry could be done but only separately, and it would break a
million things -- for example my mailer would start identifying me as
Zaphod Beeblebrox when its configuration file was included in the
search and replace. Plus any app that stores its configuration in
binary files not in the registry would be missed... You're talking
about a good half hour renaming things and a good week or three
ironing out the kinks whether an automated search and replace is done
or not.

Frankly, the lengths you'll go to to support an insulting claim about
me, e.g. that I'm wrong about something, are amazing. What motivates
your evident dedication to this self-appointed task? What did I ever
do to you?

> The only thing for me to be aware of is that if I regenerate
> /etc/passwd with mkpasswd, it will use the wrong home directory.

Says he who just got through claiming there were no gotchas.

> No one said that changing your Windows username was the only way round this.
> It was merely raised as one possible option.

But when I dismissed it as too much pain and hardship you lambasted
me.