Long Shot, Mostly OT Compiler / System Crash Issue

Hi,

I'm building (trying to build) Cygwin CLISP, and doing so is tickling a problem in my system. I think the problem is hardware related, but up until now the symptom showed no discernable pattern.

Now that I'm building CLISP, I'm finding that the problem is triggered repeatedly at the same point in compilation.

The symptom is a simple hang / lock-up with the system's reset button being the only out.

I've run the compiler under "strace" once and the last reported action is a "write" system call.

Can anyone offer any suggestions about how to try to ascertain the problem (with an eye toward finding a work-around, of course). I can't really afford to replace the system right now and apart from this repeatable hang, the system is reliable enough for me to live with, even if I dislike its instability it a lot.

Randy