Re: hanging processes?

Sven Köhler wrote:

hi,

i'm using cygwin's rxvt native port for a while. and i sometimes just close rxvt using the windows' X-button.

when logging off windows asks me if i want to kill rxvt processes - altough i'm reltively sure, that there are none in the taskmgr.

with the native console i never have such problems.
Ah I've been wanting to ask about this too but have been neglecting it because in order to set up a good example one needs to log off.

At one time a buddy of mine was using WindowBlinds and noticed that whenever he used rxvt there was an additional non windowed "window" associated with any rxvt process he started. Something in WindowBlinds exposed this but I forget what. So these background processes are the ones that show up when you are shutting down. They are typically named "rxvt0000000<some number - probably the PID #>".

I would love to have an explaination of this and/or a workaround or fix. It's particularly annoying because the shutdown process will not complete unless you respond to this dialogs to kill these processes.