Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.

On 31 Jul 2002 at 23:09, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> >> False
> >
> > Don't contradict me publicly.
>
> WHAT!?!?!?!?! (and yes, I'm bellowing on purpose). You say something I know to
> be incorrect, but I'm not allowed to correct you?

It's not incorrect. Unless you think it's coincidence that the
Documents and Settings subdirectory's name happens to be the same as
my username.

In any event, yes, you're not allowed to publicly contradict me. I've
had it up to here with condescending and hostile messages that make
me out to be some kind of an idiot or otherwise defame and ridicule
me. From now on I'm demanding a payment of $39.95 for the privilege
of dragging my name through the mud -- no more freebies! Payment to
be sent to ... nah, posting my address here would *not* be a good
idea. I'll get a P.O. box and post that address later. :P

> If you view that as a personal attack, then I am, quite frankly, amazed..

Given the context it is an attack.
Other newbies come on the list, ask questions, get answers that are
generally as helpful as possible. Not useless responses, or
condescending ones, or ones that flatly contradict.
I come on the list, do likewise, and receive a different treatment.

Of course any different behavior exhibited toward me I regard as
personal. Obviously it *is* personal if someone singles me out for
different treatment. I am simply asking that this stop. Act like I'm
someone else, with a different name, posting the odd question about
cron or gdb. Forget that I'm me, that person you feel the need to
treat more hostilely and rudely than you do others on the list with
questions. If you can't do that killfile me to save everyone the
headache.

> > What have you been smoking? When I set up my Windows username in the
> > first place all kinds of things had to be configured. If I changed it
> > or created a new one those things have to be updated. It's common
> > sense!
>
> Right. I've changed my Windows username - to one with a space in it, no less. I
> will report on any problems I have.

Problems or no problems I don't want to bother with the enormous
amount of sheer nitpicking work required to propagate the change
consistently to everywhere the old name appears, and the risk of
breaking something if I miss one obscure instance. Especially not to
satisfy the needs of one subsystem, when everything else on Windows
outside of Cygwin seems to find my existing user name just peachy.

I'm amazed at how ridiculous this whole thing is. Someone suggests
changing my Windows username, I give the above reason why I'm not
willing to do so (though not in exactly the same words), and all this
crap descends from it. Good grief -- is refusing a suggestion because
it's not in line with my needs such a big crime? What if someone has
a problem, you suggest reformatting their hard drive, and they object
because they'd lose data? I suppose you'd tell them to "back it up
stupid" as though it weren't obvious that for whatever reason,
probably lack of sufficient media (or money), they can't. And if they
told you they couldn't you'd flame them and say "if you don't have
the money you have no business using this excellent piece of free
software" as though this wasn't implying a whopping contradiction...