Re: Problems with CPAN

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 03:34:04PM +0200, Sven Köhler wrote:
> >I thought about implementing POSIX-ACLs once but the POSIX implementation
> >requires a lot of rework and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort since
> >POSIX IEEE Std. 1003.1e has been withdrawn.
>
> hmm - i just thought about the stat() call and why it could fail on a
> file - shouldn't this happen too on an ACL using UNIX-System in some
> cases? and how do these systems overcome this problem?

They don't.  It's not the problem of the system but of the tools.
Non-ACL aware tools will always have this sort of problem.  I assume
that vendors as Sun are reviewing the tools which are part of their
OS releases to support ACLs.  As you can see, sometimes it's easy
as in Cygwin to use access(2) instead of stat(2) but it's all up to
the tool maintainer.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.