Re: Home directories with spaces (was: Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2002 at 0:29, Michael Hoffman wrote:
>
> > You get what you pay for.
>
> That wasn't what I intended. My intended meaning was that if someone
> is going to change the code it's up to them to find out what change
> would work, not me, unless I'm the one changing it.

I don't think anyone is planning on changing this code in the immediate
future. Anyone can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

> This whole discussion is getting ridiculously far from the original
> issue and I suggest we drop it.

A sensible idea.

> > You know it's a pity that you didn't actually try that instead of
> > blindly speculating on what it would come up with. If you searched
> > google for
> >
> > home directories with spaces in them cygwin
> >
> > you would have found several hits. The third hit is the Cygwin FAQ which
> > tells you exactly what to do. Imagine that.
>
> Wait a minute, we were talking about searching the mailing list
> archives, not Google. Also, there are so many ways to phrase that
> that a priori I'd have no reason to expect any one phrasing to work,
> and I can't be bothered to try every permutation.

Every permutation? Hello? It worked on the very first phrasing YOU
SUGGESTED. Google is a remarkable tool. The fact that you didn't try it at
all in your blind faith that it wouldn't work that shows me that you are
wasting everyone's time here.

> Lastly, the Cygwin FAQ I have locally mentions that this can be a
> problem but says nothing about how to change it. If there's a more up to
> date version that does, fine, but it's not my fault if I happen to have
> an older copy and didn't run across any news of an update.

No, it's not your fault. That particular section was added on 14 September
2000, almost two years ago, and I don't think you can be expected to
update your documentation that often. And please let's not hear the tired
story about how it doesn't tell you what to do. There are many books and
courses available on how to do things like edit /etc/profile and read
README files.

This will be my last post in this thread. Good luck to you and I sincerely
hope your problems get solved somehow.
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin