Home directories with spaces (was: Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.)

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> I don't care for your tone mister. Also, it's not *my* job to research
> all of this stuff. It's my job to use this software and expect it to
> work. If something needs to be done to the code to make it work for a
> corner case that was not sufficiently allowed for before, then whoever
> maintains the code should do it, and whatever research is needed to make
> the right changes.

I find that volunteers are usually quite capable of determining what their
job is. If you don't like the way it works you can:

(a) Change it and submit a patch; or
(b) Pay someone to change it to meet your specifications. You could buy a
Red Hat support contract or there are several people on this list who do
Cygwin consulting for hire.

You get what you pay for.

> I don't need to try it to guess that putting "home directories with
> spaces in them" into the search engine will almost certainly produce
> exactly one hit: your posting that I'm replying to now.

You know it's a pity that you didn't actually try that instead of
blindly speculating on what it would come up with. If you searched
google for

home directories with spaces in them cygwin

you would have found several hits. The third hit is the Cygwin FAQ which
tells you exactly what to do. Imagine that.

As a courtesy, I would appreciate it if any flames were redirected to
/dev/null. Thank you.
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin