RE: Missing libc documentation

Well, setup says during an upgrade that it first
uninstalls the old package, and then installs the new one.
Which files to uninstall it finds in /etc/setup/package.
I don't know if it checks if one of the files has changed,
and then not delete them but rename them to foo.old or
so. At least, this would be helpful for files like /etc/profile

This approach is basically a good idea, as it gurantees a clean
install. However, this fails if some files are omitted by the package
maintainer. I am pretty sure this did not happen on purpose
(unless cgf wants to be mean again :-)

How to extract the files manually:
1) Check if you happen to have cygwin-1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 in
 your download directory
2) If not, use setup to download this version. (I hope, it is still
 available, this is unchecked)
3) In a bash window, issue the following commands:
cd /
tar -vjxf
/pathtodownloaddirectory/some_cryptic_name_for_mirror/release/cygwin/cygwin-
1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 usr/info

(all in one line, in case Outlook butchered the line).
In my case it is
tar -vjxf
/cygdrive/h/cygwin/ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.inf.tu-dresden.de%2fsoftware%2fwindows%2f
cygwin32/release/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 /usr/info

And finally:
/etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh.done

HTH

Ciao
Tom