Re: Available for test: gcc-3.1.1-2 gcc2-2.95.3-8

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 12:46:17AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Question about threading models for -mno-cygwin:
>
> Threading should work correctly for either the -mno-cygwin or the
> -mcygwin
> cases.
>
> >Also, I've seen repeated references that "mingw's compiler will be
> built
> >with dwarf2 exceptions".
>
> Cygwin and mingw are using the same code base now.  So both use dwarf2
> exceptions.
>
> >(If so, then the "regular" mingw build -- which is claimed to be use
> >dwarf2 EH, and the cygiwn build will both have dwarf2 EH, since
> >mknetrel/extra/gcc *doesn't* say --enable-sjlj...) Which is good.  If
> >I'm right.
>
> Right.  I've actually mentioned this in a previous message and I'm sure
> I'll be mentioning it again.
>
> Maybe we need a GCC FAQ.  Or maybe the (currently nonexistent) gcc
> README
> should mention this.
>
> FWIW, I'm on build #4010 right now.  "gcc -mno-cygwin -E" wasn't working
> right.

Not to presume to tell you what to do, but perhaps it might be prudent to
go ahead and use the gcc-3.2 branch instead.  If I read it correctly, they
are planning a gcc-3.2.1 release when the gcc-3.1.2 was supposed to be
released (and the webpage says GCC 3.1.2 release [Sep 15 2002]).  I
suppose it depends on how you look at it, but skipping to gcc-3.2 might
save some headaches in regards to YA C++ ABI change.  I suppose the mingw
people would have to do the same, so I guess if they aren't on board then
this can't be done.  It may not be the best idea to release a development
branch based version, but it may save many headaches in the future,
especially given the fickle nature of windows shared libraries.  Just my
2c on the situation...

Cheers,
Nicholas