Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Re: Updated: OpenSSH-3.4p1-1

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> The Cygwin version modifies that test so that if /var/empty resides
> on a FAT or FAT32 filesystem, or if ntsec is not activated, the
> ownership isn't tested at all.  If /var/empty is on a NTFS filesystem
> and ntsec is switched on, the ownership is checked against the user
> running sshd.

Thanks.  This was indeed the problem (I'm running ntfs, ntsec).

I saw your note about one small change and it didn't occur to that it was
exactly the one thing that I went into the "official" sources in search of!

Some words to this effect should go into /usr/doc/openssh/README.privsep
as well, since it still talks about a "chown root:sys /var/empty" being
required.

                Chris Metcalf -- InCert Software -- 1 (617) 621 8080
                metcalf@incert.com -- http://www.incert.com/~metcalf