Setup EXE not an application? Setup.ini failed with bad NULL line?

Cygwin:
 What is the problem when one downloads setup.exe from cygwin.com and WinXP
refuses to start it claiming "... not a valid Win32 application"?

If I try loading it 5 or 6 times, then it magically works, and downloads
setup.ini,
proceeding to fail by claiming that setup.ini has a null line (about 200
times) then
starts the selection window which, when selected starts downloading and then
fails
in "95 percent complete, do you want to retry?".

I must be making a simple mistake, but it is invisible to me.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.
John K. Stevenson - js@nomadic.com 480-820-8388
Software Architect .