Re: Fun with symlinks?

Hello Peter,

[snip]

PAC> Fine, so far.  Now, suppose you got a notice that a new Bash was uploaded
PAC> to the cygwin release area.  So, you fire up 'setup' and tell it to
PAC> upgrade Bash.  Now, start Bash.  Notice your changes don't show up anymore.
PAC> Now, do an 'ls -al /etc/pro*'

PAC> -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None          386 May 30 19:08 /etc/profile
PAC> -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None          386 May 30 19:08 /etc/profile

This is not real :) If you go to the /etc directory from a windows
command prompt and type 'dir' you will see:

profile
profile.lnk

The second one is your link and it is compatible with the windows type
shortcuts.

I know there is a way, in terms of a flag in the CYGWIN variable, to
control the type of symlinks which cygwin creates, but I don't
remember the details :( You can check the user's guide though.

I agree that the setup.exe behaviour in this case maybe needs an
improvement.