cygwin install trashed my win 98 machine

 I was trying to install the newest version on my
win98 machine to try and tinker with x serving
capabilities. However, at the end of the install
(everything seemed to download and unpack fine) my
machine crashed while trying to run the dos program.
Now, when I try to start up win98 I get the following
messages:

windows 98 is now restarting...

doskey installed

warning: The lock command (etc)...

Are you sure (Y/N)?

At this point no matter what I hit the machine says:

bad command or file name

the machine restarts and the process starts over. This
only happens with a normal boot in win 98, safe mode
works fine. Using safe mode I have removed all the
cygwin files, along with all registry references to no
avail. Seems to me like windows is running some kind
of macro as it loads that is causing the problem, but
there are no extraneous files in my startup folder. I
know this problem is not necesarily unique to cygwin,
but all the problems started immediately after the
aborted installation. If anyone wants to help a
neophyte save his data it would be much appreciated. thaks.