cygwin wrapper aclocal doesn't handle multiple -I options ?

I have a hypothesis that the aclocal wrapper doesn't handle
multiple -I options, or at least doesn't pass them all to the
real aclocal.

If I replace my call

  aclocal -I m4 -I build/autotools

with

  /usr/autotools/devel/aclocal -I m4 -I build/autotools

then things work (it finds gettext, which is in ./m4/gettext.m4).

I looked at

  /usr/bin/aclocal

and this section:

    -I )
       test $# = 1 && eval "$exit_missing_arg"
       shift
       opt_i="-I $1"
       shift ;;

suggests to me that it is replacing the earlier -I option with the
later ?

I am guessing a solution would be to do an append there,
but I'm no good at shell programming -- anyone know the
proper syntax ?

Cordially,

Perry

ps:

$ aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.6.1

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>