Re: usr/include/ndbm.h duplicate in cygwin-1.3.11-2

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

It looks to me like it is db-1, not db-3... There are /way/ too few
source files for it to be the latter. This is, of course, highly
annoying. Most linuxs come with the berkeley db, and now Cygwin does as
well.

Not really. The routines are there, and the header file -- but since the cygwin DLL doesn't export the routines, they effectively do not exist. Which means there's no need for cygwin to ship the headers at all.

It doesn't make sense for them to clobber an existing db.h, it
should be segregated in a libc-only header folder.

Probably, and then distribution managers can symlink or copy as necessary; perhaps the newlib folks would agree to something like this. However, we (cygwin) have a distributed set of distribution managers -- so we, collectively, have to decide which db.h gets put into /usr/include -- the one from newlib/cygwin (which seems rather pointless unless the DLL begins exporting the necessary symbols) or the symlink magic from your family of berkeley db packages.

Either that, or like
glibc, keep db as an external dependancy.

I doubt they will revert to that -- it is valuable on embedded systems to have database routines, like the POSIX(?) db(3) family, in the runtime. And since newlib is primarily targetted at embedded systems...

*Sigh*, Chuck I guess I'll have
to figure out a new strategy for releasing the other Berkely DB's...

Don't panic. Let's see what cgf has to say about the issue, esp. with regards to cygwin exporting/not-exporting the db symbols in the future.

If
some kind soul who works for the crimson hat might confer with the newlib
folks regarding this situation, it would be most appreciated.  Meanwhile,
be aware that the db-2 packages will clobber cygwin-1.3.11 files and
vis-versa...

Hopefully Chris will release 1.3.11-4 *without* /usr/include/db.h as a short-term, interim fix.

You know, we *really* need a package linter that checks for file conflicts -- of course, it wouldn't have caught the db.h problem, since db.h is created by a symlink during postinstall in your berkeley db packages...

--Chuck