Re: Java for Cygwin

Istvan,

I do a great deal of Java work under Cygwin with no trouble.

[ As with so many other kinds of programming, Cygwin is the only way to make Windows genuinely useful and tolerable to an old Unix hand such as me. ]

Java is not really special, either on Windows generally or in relation to Cygwin. It is a strictly Windows application and does not understand a Unix- or POSIX-style CLASSPATH, for example. Neither does it tolerate absolute POSIX file names, though relative paths will work because of their conincidental syntactic similarity. I advise use of forward slashes everywhere to avoid the problems of the back-slash in the POSIX environment.

I use cover scripts that process arguments from their Unix / POSIX form into the requisite Windows form required by the Java tools. That way the other development scripts I write are equally applicable in both a Unix and a Cygwin environment.

I'd be willing to share these with you, but my sense has been that there's little use of or interest in Java among the readers of this list, so unless at least a few people contradict this assertion, I ask you to solicit these from me directly.

If you just want help with your NoClassDefFoundError, you'll need to say more about what you're doing and how. Specify the CLASSPATH environment or "-cp / -classpath" option and the invocation of "java" that you used. If you're a beginner, there are some "classic" errors like confusion about the interaction of Java "package" declarations, the class path and the layout of your class (and possibly source code) files in the file system.

Again, unless others on the list expresses interest, I suggest you follow up with me privately.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA