Re: Building a MinGW build of aspell without much luck :(

Christopher Faylor wrote:

BTW, I tot I might share how I got pass my problem. I've checked and
found the definition of opendir, readdir and closedir to exist in the
lib libmingwex.a which was never included by the configure process.
Hence the fix is to edit the gcc's specs file to include this lib
whenever the -mno-cygwin switch is given. Is this considered a bug?

That would be a question for the mingw mailing list, I think.  I don't
know if they intended for libmingwex to be included by default or not.
Since it is new and gcc is old, it obviously isn't going to be included.

As Earnie mentioned in the announcement for the most recent update of the mingw-runtime and w32api packages for cygwin, libmingwex is a new addition.

To use these functions, you will need to explicitly add -lmingwex to your command line. In future releases of GCC, libmingwex.a will become a system lib added automatically by specs.

So, it's not a bug that current gcc's spec file doesn't have it; it's a new feature of mingw-runtime that is not yet supported by our gcc.

--Chuck