Re: Setup 2.249.2.3 on Win2k hangs while uninstalling packages

Pavel & Robert,

I have been able to reproduce a very similar issue on Windows 2000 SP2.

Here is what I have been able to determine about the behavior of the crash I
have been producing:

1) Setup performs normally (downloading packages etc) until you go to
install/uninstall certain packages (whether from local or from internet.)

2) Setup hangs on the install/uninstall of certain packages. I also started
an installation in a clean directory with no previous cygwin (this is,
however, on the same machine where I have a cygwin install elsewhere) and
the first thing setup.exe said is that it was "uninstalling" ash and then it
hung. The hang behavior is as follows:
      - Memory for setup.exe process shoots up to
        ~280MB at about 1.5MB/sec utilizing 99% cpu.
      - Memory for setup.exe process then drops to
        ~20-24MB at about 5MB/sec utilizing 99% cpu.
      - Memory for setup.exe process now remains
        relatively stable but memory usage for the OS
        continues to grow at a rate of about 1.5MB/sec
        until no more is available. Setup.exe continues
        to utilize 99% cpu throughout this time.
      - Setup.exe crashes with the following error:
        "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:
        Runtime Error! Program C:\cygwin\setup.exe
        abnormal program termination"

3) Canceling setup.exe when it is in the process of installing/uninstalling
yields the following error message about half the time: "setup.exe -
Application Error, The instruction at '0x0042a3de referenced memory at
0x00000000.' The memory could not be 'read'." A similar message also appears
if setup.exe runs out of memory during its initial growth (i.e., if other
apps are running and I don't have much available memory to start with.)

4) An incomplete list of the "certain packages" which cause problems on my
machine are as follows. It is interesting to note that I did NOT have any
problem with openssh as did Robert. I could not help but notice that a
couple of my existing packages show up as "0.0" but I wasn't sure what to
make of that.
     - ash (20010129 -> 20020131-1)
     - bash (2.04-7a -> 2.05a-3)
     - diff (0.0 -> 1.0-1)
     - findutils (0.0 -> 4.1.7-4)
     - gawk (3.0.4 -> 3.0.4-1)
     - gdbm (1.8.0-3 -> 1.8.0-4)
     - gzip (0.0 -> 1.3.2-1)
     - login (1.4-1 -> 1.4-3)
     - ncurses (5.2-4 -> 5.2-8)
     - textutils (2.0-1 -> 2.0.21-1)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks,

Corey Hershhorn
Quovadx Inc.

The information contained in this message and any attachments is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received
this message in error, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or
using the information.  Please contact the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the original message from your system.
===================== End Confidentiality Statement =====================