Re: Updated Tcl Tk and Tix

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> The reason there is only a handful of people using this is because this
> functionality hasn't really been advertised as being available.  I'm sure
> that this can be fixed by minor modifications to the Makefile.am /
> configure.in based on you recommendations.  Since you did do this awhile
> back, can you post (on your website) your modifications?  The biggest
> issue I had is not with TK but with TCL using Windows paths as opposed to
> POSIX paths.  This breaks the test scripts on an number of packages, for
> example the berkeley db.  How would you propose dealing with this issue,
> short of having to modify every tcl script that uses POSIX paths?  As for
> why wait until GCC 3.1 point, that was a comment made by Chuck, so I'll
> let him explain that if he cares to.

Hi Nicholas,

I dug up my old patches, but those are not quite relevant anymore as most
of those changes are unnecessary due to fixes to configuration since. I'm
attaching a quick patch against stock Tcl 8.3.4 (no changes for Tk needed)
to build under Cygwin as a "Unix" host using X11. Less than 10 lines of
changes, but it doesn't do dynamic loading, shared libraries, etc. Left as
an excercise for the interested ;-)

The lack of POSIX paths is simply due to a bug in Cygwin's Tcl/Tk. I'll
post a fix relative to Cygwin Tcl/Tk sources hopefully soon (these are
in my sources, so someone in need could potentially pick it up from
there). If that's the major reason, I recommend staying with a version
of Tcl/Tk that uses Windows API to be closer to the Cygwin supplied ones,
after fixing the problem(s). The only item I didn't fix is mentioned in
my README (can't remember off-hand what that is). One of the reason that
this wasn't in a long time ago is because of ancient bug in relative
pathname handling in cygwin, and cgf fixed that a *long* time ago.

I'm not sure how to respond to the post by S.L, who for some reason thinks
that Cygwin's Tcl/Tk are in reality Mingw applications.

Don't know if this helps your problem at all, but it reaffirm how easy
it is to port a Unix application to Cygwin. The hack I added for timezone
mess should be moved elsewhere and done better. The change in
tclUnixChan.c is to work around the old lseek bug, which may or may not be
fixed by now.

After applying the fixes, you build it just like you would on a Unix host
with X11 installed.

Regards,
Mumit