RE: run batch w/o .bat?

Actually, I would settle for something like the following:

alias 'bat'='!:0-0.bat !:1*'

I'd like to add this into .bashrc.  Problem is that when I type in 'bat' at
the command line I get the following error:
bash: !:0-0.bat: command not found

I'm tried to escape the bang with a '\', but to no avail.  If I type:
!:0-0.bat !:1*
at the command line then there is no problem--it does what is supposed to,
which is to append '.bat' to the 0-word of the previous command.

Help?

Kevin