Key mappings in ssh

I have a problem using sshd on cygwin: the backspace key does not work as
expected, for example in vi (inserts ^? ) and cat. To get it working I
have to press Ctrl+H. Bash prompt behaves properly (therefore I assume
that readline interprets the keycode better). Also, local bash prompt (not
using sshd, just starting ...\bin\bash.exe works ok (even with
.bash_profile setting TERM to linux)

Environment:
- latest (updated) complete cygwin version installation,
- ssh client Putty (also ShellGuard -- former TelNeat),
- TERM=linux (for shellguard) or xterm (for Putty)

There are some ways to get it working properly:
- using putty, I can configure backspace to send Ctrl+H
- if I open ShellGuard to a linux machine (where BackSpace works ok) then
ssh to cygwin machine, it works again.

I am not very sure, but I *think* this occured recently, after (for
example) updating cygwin's openssh, terminfo etc to latest versions.

I tried playing with bs option in shellguard's termcap.ini but no success.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
rudy