RE: mkpasswd (Win2K) cannot find the domain controller

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I'm somewhat reluctant to apply that patch to mkpasswd.  The
> > reason is... I don't know.  I recalled that I'd once changed
> > from using NetGetAnyDCName() to NetGetDCName() for *some*
> > reason.

I checked, and Microsoft's Developer Network seems to recommend
the current approach (using GetDC, not GetAnyDC), although it
doesn't explain why either.

It is entirely possible that this is a solution looking for a
problem. I just came across it while looking into an unrelated
problem.

In any event, I don't currently have the resources to set up a
Windows network with PDC and BDC in order to test this. I don't
think my company networking people would look kindly on taking
down their PDC to test it. :-)

A possibly more interesting enhancement would be the patches I
made to enable Active Directory support. This uses DsGetDcNameW
to get the domain controller information instead. Unfortunately,
it relies on a number of definitions not provided by Cygwin (I
hacked them into mkpasswd.c temporarily to get it to work). If
there's interest, I'll post these. However, they are currently
just hacked in as a replacement. I just got a new assignment
that will tie me up for the next month, so I won't be cleaning
these up much anytime soon.

-Jerry