RE: problem starting inetd as NT service

At 08:38 AM 5/7/2002, Mellman Thomas wrote:
> [...]

Me too! ;-)

>- I see that, under the control-panel -> services ->+ cygwin-inetd
>   I can choose between system account and 'this account'.  Default is
>   system account.  Why would I use "this account"?  Why would I use
>   the system account, or what problems lurk for me there?

Just use the "SYSTEM" account.  It's the default and gets you
what you need.  It means you need to know a whole lot less.  You don't need
to play with the "mmc snap" mentioned above if you use "SYSTEM".

>- if I try to use "this account", I must enter a password.  Where
>   does this come from?  My own password does not seem to work.
>
>I probably won't ask these questions, except that my employer has
>got the security turned down pretty tight, so trying things out isn't
>very satisfactory.

Right.  So you probably only have the option of using "SYSTEM" as the account
anyway.

> >  For all application started via NT/W2K service manager under
> >  LocalSystem account, the following restrictions apply:
> >
> >  - The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
> >    environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
> >    the registry:
> >    Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
> >    create a REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path to the application,
> >    eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value equal to the preferred
> >    CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".
>

>When I do that, I can't create files anymore.  My id is (clearly)
>uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(Kein) groups=513(Kein)
>
>- How do I get it to be otherwise?  Will I have to login in twice,
>   once to nt and once to cygwin?

I'd recommend just adding "ntsec" to the system version of the CYGWIN
environment variable.  This will ensure that you're using ntsec both for
services and for interactive tasks, which is the best if you're using NTFS.

>- I read somewhere that I need to put my RID in the GCOS field of
>   a password entry for me.  I couldn't find the RID in my registry.
>   Where can I find it?

The lack of this data in your /etc/passwd file is probably the reason you
are having permission problems with ntsec turned on.  Just run "mkpasswd"
again with the appropriate flags for your installation.  So long as it can
find your login name, it will add the appropriate information to your
/etc/passwd file for you.