How to create LIB from DLL

THE SETUP:
I'm new to Visual Studio (please don't hate me for using MS products), so
I could be doing something fundamentally wrong (I've done c++ on unix for
4ish years, and I just transitioned over to PC-land)...

I have cygwin1.dll, nothing else.

THE PROBLEM:
I want to link some code in VSC++ to the cygwin1.dll file, but I don't
have an improt library (cygwin1.lib) file to go with it.  As I understand
it, I *MUST* have the lib to make the link work.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
I tried doing an 'nm cygwin1.dll....' command w/sed & all that, BUT it
seemed to respond as though cygwin1.dll had been stripped.

WHAT I'M PONDERING:
SO: I am left wondering: Is there a DEF and a LIB out there for
cygwin1.dll?  If not, how do I generate them myself without having to
re-compile the cygwin1 dll?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

  -Scott