RE: Why do we need a mirroring tool - setup.exe based or not?

And how do you test that?

> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but surely setup.exe
> is all we need?

What if you want a local repository with consolidated dirs for
distribution of cygwin within a corporate LAN?

What if you want to download all packages matching (.*Xfree.*)?

What if you want all curr and prev packages kept cached, but older than
that deleted automatically?

I'm sure there are more examples.

Download only mode is a primitive form of mirroring. If we had a good
mirror tool, we could -consider- removing download only mode completely.

The problem is that setup is aimed at *installing* cygwin. The
maintenance functionality has grown ontop of that base. I'm refactoring
as fast as I have time to, but the guts of setup still reflect that
origin. Everything we do that makes setup more 'complete' makes it
bigger. This isn't good.

Finally, I'd like to see a much smaller setup that has nearly no
options, and kickstarts the process by downloading cygwin1.dll, a
setup.exe that can call out to libraries, and any core support files for
that. Then from there you can install anything you want. The point being
that the absolute minimum is quite small, and is non-optional.

Rob