Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet

<begin rant>
Robert, you are a saint.

I am sick and tired of the whining about setup and downloads.

SETUP IS NOT A MIRRORING TOOL.

In order to make this clear, I am in favor of completely removing the
download-only option, leaving just install-from-internet and
install-from-localdir.  This will force the whiners to either shut up
and use a fscking mirroring tool, or help out:

Robert has already said what the correct solution to all this is: create
a separate program that leverages the setup.exe codebase, to do
"multi-source merged mirroring".

This will require:

1) Add command-line options for setup.exe.  Robert has added a helpful
set of examples.  He even created a whole new project, GetOpt++, to
support this.  What more can Robert, all by himself, do?

2) Create a new cygmirror.cc as part of the setup module, that uses some
(but not all) of the other classes in the setup module.  According to
Robert:

 > The differences between setup and a mirroring tool include:
 > * All the install code isn't needed.
 > * Attention to local packages isn't needed.
 > * Persistent selection of packages irrespective of install status
 >   should be present.
 > * command line driven may be useful?

I'll add one more: reading options (or package lists) from a file.

Now, unless somebody who WANTS this functionality actually steps up to
the plate and digs in, can we PLEASE stop discussing this issue?

Removing the download-only option will also have the salutory effect of
forcing the whiners to either:

1) use a REAL mirroring tool, then use setup.exe to
    install-from-local-dir
   1a) heck, you could even use wget; I've posted a script
       to this mailing list that does exactly that.
2) help out with the coding.

Either way, it kills "setup download only mode doesn't do what I want"
"What's up with the wacky %%%'ified directory names in my local setup
directory" "Setup sucks" threads that NEVER DIE!.

--Chuck