building iconv/libcharset fails

I've been trying to get a gtk/gtkmm setup going, and all was well until I
ran into this "little" libiconv dependency to glib. The build of the
libcharset library is failing, with this error:

gcc -O -Wl,--base-file,.libs/cygcharset-1.dll-base
-Wl,-e,__cygwin_dll_entry@12 -o .libs/cygcharset-1.dll  localcharset.lo
/usr/lib/libcygwin.a(libcmain.o)(.text+0x6a): undefined reference to
`WinMain@16'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libcharset.la] Error 1

I've seen discussion regarding this problem going back almost a year. As
libiconv is now a dependency is virtually all gnu software, are we any
closer to getting this to build that doesn't require rocket science?

 From the link error, this *looks* like it could be a trivial problem -
shouldn't it be trying to use main() instead of using the Win32 runtime?
--
Paul T. Miller | paul@fxtech.com | http://www.fxtech.com