Re: How can I get all permissions when I login to cygwin

At 01:54 PM 4/27/2002, terrificskyfox wrote:
>First, thank you for your reply.
>
>I using cygwin.bat file to login to the cygwin, the contents of the file
>are in below:
>
>         @echo off
>
>         f:
>         chdir f:\cygwin\bin
>
>         bash --login -i
>
>When I entered into the system, the shell prompt displayed as
>"Administrator@HOSTNAME...", then I tried to change the file's
>permissions, but I could not do it(I could only control the -w
>permission of the file and only of my own account, but the file owner is
>me!).

OK, what was the command you were using to change the permissions?
Perhaps it would be good for you to post a sample of what you tried and
what the result was.  The output of cygcheck -s -r -v may also be useful.
Running the same problem command under 'strace' may show something too.

>Then I rewrite "bash --login -i" to "bash", so I could enter the
>system first(displayed "bash-2.05a$...) ,and then used the user account
>in my win2000 system to login to the system, but the shell said "login
>incorrectly". Now I want to know how can I use the 2nd method mentioned
>above to login to the system and get all permissions.

You cannot use 'login' to login to Cygwin.  If you're curious as to the
details of this, you can look at the email archives.  This has been discussed
there before, even as recently as last week.  If you really want to do this,
you should install and configure OpenSSH.  It will allow you to do this.  I
*HIGHLY* recommend that you return your cygwin.bat file back to its original
state.  There's no benefit to having it otherwise (and such a change really
makes problems with your installation something that this list can't help you
with).

>I am a chinese boy, so my english is poor, if words above puzzled you, I
>am sorry.

Your English is just fine! :-)