Re: An deeper and not before asked question about setup.exe

From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 08:55
Subject: Re: An deeper and not before asked question about setup.exe

> Michael A Chase <mchase@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > There's a newer version of clean_setup.pl at
> > http://home.ix.netcom.com/~mchase/zip/ that deals with the new
> > directory structure.  It will also, optionally, flatten it for you.
>
> Thanks, it's a very useful tool, but version 1.02 already does everything
> need. (But I did have to remove lc, which was lowercasing the word STABLE
in
> squid versions, and so causing clean_setup.pl to complain that it could
not find
> squid...stable..., and that squid...STABLE... was not in setup.ini)

Thanks.  I'd put the lc() in to deal with Windows' case insensitive
filesystem and didn't catch it when I removed the workaround from other
parts of the program.

Version 1.03 will properly find archive files even when the parent directory
names change.  This is particularly relevant now with the migration from
contrib/ and latest/ to release/ .

> I'm really gently suggesting that we shouldn't need to have a script to
merge
> the mirror directories, because (as I understand it) they serve no
purpose.

The separate mirror directories are intended to support future
functionality.  For now the only part that is really useful is that they
provide a place for a separate setup.ini for each download site.

If someone is trying to manage a cache on a network drive for installing
Cygwin in multiple machines, the merging may still help.
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html