Re: Help me understand few things

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 10:00:02PM -0800, Gupta, Sanjay wrote:
> Guest@SGUPTA-LAPT ~
> $ id
> uid=501(Guest) gid=513(None) groups=513(None)
>
> Now, if I do login to Guest user as ssh
> $ ssh guest@sgupta-lapt
> [...]
> $ id
> uid=501(Guest) gid=513(None)
> groups=0(Everyone),513(None),546(Guests),547(Power
> Users),545(Users),1001(ORA_DBA)
>
> See the difference between the id commands between the same user.  One login
> was done using  shortcut on desktop and other is using ssh.
> Any logic behind this ?
>
> Q2: I have read the Documentation provided by CYGWIN but was unable to find
> out where the information is kept regarding groups a user has. In Unix like
> system, if suppose I have a group called staff , then you can easily see the
> group staff is assigned to which users by looking /etc/group file but I was
> unable to find this information in CYGWIN /etc/group . My guess is CYGWIN
> basically picking this information from Windows database, only Primary Group
> information is kept in /etc/passwd file and secondary groups are taken from
> Windows database. It is not kept in /etc/group in CYGWIN. Is my
> understanding correct ?

Yes and no.  It takes the groups from the process token.  But it does
show it to you only if it's mentioned in /etc/groups.  If `ntsec' is off,
it doesn't use the process token but only the information in /etc/group.
However, the group list for local login isn't the same as for remote
login anyway.

> Q3: When logged in via ssh, if I run
> $ id -Gn
> None Everyone Guests Power Users Users ORA_DBA
> It displays all the Primary and Secondary Groups belong to the current user.
> My current user is Guest.
> but when I specify
> $ id -Gn Guest
> None

Yes, you mentioned it already twice this weekend.  Could be a bug.
A quick strace run didn't help, though.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.