RE: cygqwin with mingw32 question

Jonathan,

I have to admit that I don't quite understand your original question either.
However, it seems like you're interested in understanding some of the
internals of Cygwin's gcc and the -mno-cygwin switch.

First of all, a quick response: when you specify -mno-cygwin to the
compiler, __CYGWIN__ is NOT defined. Rather, __MINGW32__ is defined.

In the past, I made contributions to OpenLDAP so that it would build as
MinGW binaries with Cygwin gcc. As part of this contribution, I wrote a
detailed document on Cygwin, MinGW, and the internals of how they relate to
each other. You can read this document on OpenLDAP's web site:

I don't vouch for its accurracy. I last updated it in December, but you know
how quickly software changes. Also, the content is based purely on my
experience as a user and not a developer of Cygwin. So there may be things
I'm wrong about. Nevertheless, it's fairly comprehensive. I hope this
helps...

Jon