Re: HELP: rxvt configuration

At 06:22 AM 3/23/2002, Philippe Bastiani wrote:
>Finally, a last question:
>I set the SHELL environment variable in 'startxwin.bat': is it a right place
>?
>I don't understand why this variable is not properly set by the environment
>(although tcsh is my default shell)

This has been discussed in the past in the context of the (relatively) recent
changes to bash which keep it from exporting various shell variables,
including SHELL.  This variable and others are exported on various *NIX
platforms during the process of logging in, not by the shell itself.  However,
on Cygwin, we don't log in.  So these variables aren't set by Cygwin and they
aren't set by the shell.  If you're interested in more details, check the
mail list archives for the discussion of bash in this context.  It's the
same issue for tcsh.  You can find a work-around for your own environment but
the real fix would be to make Cygwin handle exporting these variables during
DLL start-up, which is one of the ideas discussed before.  As you can see,
we're not short on ideas, just short on people with time to implement them.  Feel free to join in on the fun (of implementation)! ;-)