cygwin sshd service timeout

Hello!

I am experiencing a very frustrating problem getting sshd to run as a
service on a 2000 server. I have already set it up successfully on 3 or 4
other servers with no problems, all in the last few days and with the very
latest installs. Details follow:

--  I can run successfully and log in from a remote client if sshd is run
from the command line as the SYSTEM user (starting a cmd shell from "at" on
the console). However, from the SYSTEM shell, ALL cygwin programs (sshd,
bash, echo) take about 30 seconds to start. Using strace reveals the
programs hanging at "internal_getlogin". This timeout does not occur with
other users. Once in a bash shell, other commands can be run with no delay.
There were messages on this list around 10/26/2001 on this topic, but the
issue was never resolved.

--  Thus the sshd services (under cygrunsrv) "does not start in a timely
fashion" according to hte service manager because it is running as SYSTEM.

--  I've checked the environment, permissions, passwd/group files, etc.
Like I said, I've done this a number of times already. The only differences
between this box and others I've done are that this one is on a workgroup
(i.e. standalone) and has never been on a domain. Other boxes where it
works are all on Active Directory, NT Domain, or in once case WAS on an NT
domain and is now standalone. The only other difference noted is that this
box is at SP1, not SP2. I've compared user rights, permissions, passwd
files, etc between various servers.

What is the problem that causes the timeout?!?
Notwithstanding an answer to the above, are there any workarounds? Is there
any way to run the service as another user, i.e. any access rights that
could be granted to allow the user context switch from an "sshd" user?
Any registry hacks that would extend the service manager's timeout limit to
60 seconds or so?

Thanks for any help.