Re: [ADMINISTRIVIA] Revamped spam blocking for this mailing list

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 11:37:28AM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>This is just my personal opinion, obviously, but there wasn't enough
>spam getting through of late to seem to justify messing with a working
>system.
>
>The truth?  I've been blocked inappropriately in the past, on this list
>and others, and it is pretty much at the top of my list of pet peeves!
>Perhaps it's part of the American psyche, but I become almost
>apoplectic when I'm muzzled in any way!

Yep.  I don't know if this is "American" or not but it certainly is a
wonderful illustration of a typical clueless sense of entitlement
coupled with a usual "I don't know any of the facts but I have an
opinion anyway" attitude.

>The other truth?  I'm writing this to see if I'm going to get blocked
>under the new scheme or software you've instituted.  Better on this
>low-content message than on one I really want to be read.

And, if you had been blocked what do you think would have happened?  I
asked people to send email to postmaster@cygwin.com.  If you had sent
email to that address, I would have read the email and worked on the
problem.

I'm sitting here now actively scanning the mailing list queues so that
I will be aware of any problems as they occur.

The bottom line still holds.  If you're subscribed to the mailing list
you can post.  If you are not subscribed and are blocked by one of
sourceware's RBL checkers (which also have not changed), then you get
specific instructions for unblocking yourself in the bounce message.

If you don't understand this, then check out the appropriate page at
sources.redhat.com which describe how blocking occurs.

Again, if it seems like the rules aren't being followed, then send mail
to postmaster@cygwin.com and I'll look into it.

And, if you feel yourself becoming apoplectic about any of this, then
please send some nice venting email to all of the mailing lists that you
are personally running in the proper way.  You can rest assured that
your apoplectic wisdom will be lost on me if you send it here.

cgf