RE: cygwin.com suggestions

[snip]

> > But that doesn't really replace the current DLL. IOW the
> > changes are not
> > effective until one reboots. Personally I find this a crummy
> > way to do
> > things but perhaps that's all that can be done.
>
> I think crummy is a little harsh. And yes, other than shutting down all
> process's using a file, this is the best that can be done (*).
>
> Rob
>
> *: Well, it's possible that a file system filter driver that redirects
> the access to a new file for subsequent opens could provide equivalent
> functionality to a linux style delete/replace of in-use files. However I
> don't know whether the file system cache/file mapping logic sit above or
> below such filters... if they sit above the filter (And I suspect they
> do), then the filter would never get invoked, and the file would still
> appear to be there.

PAIN! WINDOWS... DRIVERS! FILE... SYSTEM... AHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Actually I was thinking this would be a perfect job for that snazzy new daemon
coming down the pike; queue the file in question up with the daemon, and have
the daemon wait until nobody's looking (i.e. nothing's using the
file-to-be-replaced), and then swap the new one in.  The daemon could replace
itself in a somewhat similar manner; the new daemon would send the old daemon a
signal to shut down and then replace it with itself when Windows eventually let
go of it.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.