Re: rsh slow during RAS connection

At 04:09 PM 3/5/2002, Michael Adler wrote:

>I setup rsh by putting the client's IP in server:/etc/hosts, and the
>hostname in server:/etc/hosts.equiv. /etc/hosts is a symlink to
>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/hosts.
>
>Over the LAN , responses take about 1 second.
>
>If I dial into the server using PPP, the response time grows to 50 seconds
>or more. The client is still authenticated, but it takes a very long time.
>
>After I close the ppp connection, using rsh over the LAN is really slow.
>What's different now? I still have a second IP from the PPP connection.
>
>This makes me think that this is a hostname resolving issue and that when
>the server gets a second IP ( 1 ethernet + 1 PPP ), my /etc/hosts solution
>gets foiled.
>

>I've used strace to track the client's calls and it typically gets stuck here:
>
>458  995773 [main] rsh 956 cygwin_getservbyname: A0112E0 = getservbyname (shell, tcp)
>

>Can anyone offer insight on how to setup name resolutions to avoid this or
>how to hot-wire rshd?

No, I don't have that kind of information.  However, I can say that the
Cygwin function (cygwin_getservbyname()) is just a wrapper that calls
the Winsock getservbyport() function.  So, the MSDN may have some information
regarding this function and Winsock which may be applicable to your situation.
Then again, it may not. ;-)

Sorry I don't have more specific suggestions for you.