Re: Why not a news server?

Andrew, Lars said

"I don't follow this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to
announce something ******for this mailing list******, I'm probably not
the person to do that." [emphasis added]

Fair enough.  BUT, posting an announcemnt on the WEBPAGE is NOT "for
this mailing list".  It's for his damn nntp gateway.  Perhaps using the
mailing list to relay a request to Lars was not appropriate -- since he
doesn't follow the list.  But he sure followed it enough to realize that
there was a gap which he could fill -- when he created the service three
weeks ago (which was when cgf asked him to post an announcement).  He
was proactive enough to set up the service.  But not to post the
announcement using the facilities provided and referenced by the project
administrator (cgf).  Go figure.

Supposedly, Lars set this nntp thing up as a service to the cygwin
community. Hmmm,  let's think,  how would you tell the community
something about a new "service"...well, you'd either

   a) post an announcement on the mailing list,
     --- but, this nntp service is specifically for those people who
don't like using mailing lists to communicate.  So, that's not a good idea.

   b) put an announcement on the official cygwin web page.

B) it what Chris asked for.  B) is what I've been asking for.  B) is
what Lars, as the contributor of a new service for the cygwin community,
should have done.  And continually refused to do -- either
misunderstanding what was being requested, or too lazy ("I've set it up
-- that's enough", or whatever.

Sure, I could announce his service.  I could also announce the
availability of a new ispell port for cygwin on the german ftp mirror.
I could announce that there was a new cygwin port of kde-2.2 at
kde-cygwin, or of gtk+1.3.6 at gtk.org.

But it's not my job -- and more importantly, it isn't my right!  If *I*
posted the announcement, then *my* name would go next to the
announcement text.  This poses two problems, one moral, and one practical:

   a) the moral problem:  it would imply that I was responsible for
someone else's contribution.  Lars did the job, Lars should get the
credit.  (If only he'd follow thru, and post the damn announcement...)
   b) the practical problem:  I'd get the email when the service broke.
I'd have to continually redirect queries to Lars -- in perpetuity, until
cgf manually changed the announcement text to refer to Lars instead of me.

If you want to characterize Lars' statement that he didn't want to post
an announcement on the *mailing list*, plus my insistence that he post
an announcement on the *web page*, and my refusal to implicitly take
credit for someone else's work  as "stubbornness" on my part, you're
welcome to do so.

--Chuck