fetchmail 5.9.8 and maildrop 1.3.7

Hello again,

Just to report that fetchmail 5.9.8 compiles cleanly on cygwin, and that we seem to be heading towards a fully functioning e-mail solution (well, with ssmtp to forward mail to a smarter MTA, at least). Just grab the sources and do:

/configure --with-ssl
make
make install

(I did not change config.h or any other options)

I've also been fiddling with maildrop-1.3.7 (actually maildrop-1.3.7.20020215...), an MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) that is part of the Courier kit. It required a trivial change to compile cleanly (something related to timezones, AFAIR a typecast gone astray), and I have managed to get both packages to work together (i.e., I actually fetched mail from my IMAP-SSL account and delivered to /var/spool/mail/user using both).

However, mutt then complains that /var/spool/mail/user is not a valid mbox file, since somewhere along the line, an extra blank line is inserted at the beginning of the mailbox upon creation. Editing it out by hand solves the problem, but is a rather lame fix.

I've tried to figure out why this happens, but will have to devote more attention to other stuff (I'm rather keen on looking at the rxvt sources at the moment, and reading mail directly via IMAP-SSL with mutt works fine for me).

Nevertheless, I think this bit of news will be of interest to those who actually need a full fetchmail-MDA combo.

You can get maildrop at http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop, and fetchmail at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/

I'll probably have a go at the full Courier package one day (I rather fancy the notion of having a proper SMTP/IMAP server on my box), but from what I saw from a test compile, it'll be an uphill battle... :)

Best regards,

Rui Carmo