Opening Apps

This is my 1st post on the mailing list so don't shout at me if it all goes
wrong !!

I just want to know I can open a .html or .doc file etc from within my C
programme from an option screen where the user types for example H for help
which will then launch my help.htm page.

I want to do this in either C or C++ but can't find any code that allows me
to run other applications from options in my prog.

Thanx in advance.
Gaz.