Emacs for Cygwin (was: cygwin-mount.el, Using GDB in NTEMACS)

Below is Eli Zaretskii mail from 23 Feb 2002.

I think that we need a CygEmacs - an emacs that will be compiled with
the real Cygwin ported gcc (i.e. without the -mno-cygwin). CygEmacs
will have UNIX APIs for I/O (files and sockets), and M$Windows APIs
for the display and the keyboard. This is already done (partly) by the
Cygwin port of rxvt.

If this is too difficult, may be a version of Emacs for Cygwin, that
use only the UNIX APIs can be ported. This Emacs version will be used
only within Cygwin's windows - Console or rxvt (Emacs in TTY mode) or
real display (using Cygwin-Xfree).

Any of these version will solve the 2 major issues of using Emacs with
Cygwin - 1. The files (names and attributes). 2. Running of sub-shells
in Emacs (file is not tty problem). It may solve another problem that
bothers me - running a client on the PC to a server on UNIX.

Ehud.