Re: Fonts and rxvt

Pat Gunn wrote:

> Hi, it seems that the cyg non-XF86 program 'rxvt' is misnamed --
> it's too easy to confuse it with the real thing.

It IS the real thing.  When DISPLAY=:0, it uses MSWin calls to draw
itself.  When DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0 (or some other X-ish looking thing) it
uses X11 calls to draw itself --- but you need an Xserver.

> Anyhow, I was
> wondering if anyone has had any success changing the font that it
> uses -- I need to get line-drawing characters working so when
> I telnet to other systems, things display correctly. Any ideas?

a) either use it in X mode with an Xserver, and set TERM=rxvt, or

b) make sure that your CYGWIN variable contains 'codepage:oem' and that
you are using a font that has the linedraw characters (most windows
fonts do not -- or they're in the wrong place in the encoding).  Try
LuconP from
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/unversioned/bashprompt/

To set fonts (when using rxvt in MSWin mode), use
   -fn "Lucida ConsoleP-11"

Of course, in X11 mode,

   -fn sabvga

Or whatever your choice of font is.  In X11 mode, the fonts must be
installed where your local Xserver can find them.

--Chuck