Re: How to create a windows link in script?

Roland,

Well, I was going to say this:

If this is a one-off sort of thing, just use Windows Explorer (i.e., the
Properties dialog) to set the icon on the ".lnk" file (shortcut) that
results from invoking "ln -s <original> <link>".

However, I find that the resulting .lnk file won't allow the icon to be
changed. I get an error alert when I try to "Apply" the changed icon
("Unable to save changes to gvi.lnk"; "Access is denied."). This is true
even after I go to the Security pane of the link/shortcut's Properties
dialog and enable "Full Control" and "Modify" permissions, apply them,
close the dialog, come back in and try all over again. The permissions
change "takes" but I still cannot set the icon.

I wonder what's up here? This is an up-to-date Cygwin (1.3.9), NTFS file
system and CYGWIN=ntsec. My BASH "umask" is 2, but I did a chmod 777
afterward (as well as interactively changing the permissions as I mentioned
above).

Can anybody clue me in on what's happening with this?

Thanks.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA