RE: cvs -- carriage return problems with cygwin 1.3.9 and interaction with setup's text file default

[snip]

> I think it would be useful to update the cygwin faq with some well-chosen
> advice about how to deal with DOS vs. Unix text file formats,

Oh man, let me do the honors:

XX.XX HOW TO DEAL WITH THE WINDOWS VS UNIX VS MAC TEXT FILE FORMAT FIASCO

1.  Track down the bastage who thought "fscanf()" was a good idea and make him
atone for his crimes against humanity.
2.  Teach Unix that all files are not actually text files.
3.  Teach Notepad that "\r" does not look like a black square.
4.  Teach all programs on both OSs that ASCII text files are just as valid
regardless of whether the lines end in "\r" or "\r\n" or "\n" or "\n\r".
5.  Put on yer asbestos drawers, because by the time you get to this step,
you'll have missed the Rapture.

> particularly
> pointing out that some of the programs in the cygwin release will only work
> in DOS text mode if they were ever installed in DOS Text mode and wrote any
> files.  It would also be helpful if there was a better explanation than what
> I've found so far about the meaning of this setting in the setup dialogs.
> What is actually changed by altering it?

The default mount mode.  I don't recall offhand if this gets reset every time
you run it or not, I'm guessing yes.  Regardless, you're right, I don't see
anything in the FAQ about this at all (or actually the "Everyone/Just Me" one
either) and there needs to be.  We should also probably reconsider whether these
need to even be there every time you run setup.

> Presumably what I've done is partly bogus.  I should reinstall everything
> with a consistent text mode setting, right, or some other programs will be
> broken similarly to the way cvs was?

I can only guess yes.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle