Re: 'shutdown', games

Hong Xun,

Here's how I reboot (shutdown is analogous, I assume):

         reboot -r now; exit

In practice I always start a couple of SETI@home command-line clients under
BASH, so I actually do this:

         # Stop the SETI@home clients, initiate reboot and exit BASH
         sahs; reboot -r now; exit

I don't know why, but if I "exit" (or "logout") from BASH while leaving
running any sub-processes it started (at least these SETI@home clients,
which are not Cygwin programs), then the window in which BASH was running
hangs around, though according to the process pane of the Windows Task
Manager, bash.exe has terminated. If under these circumstances I close the
window manually (click the close box, i.e.) then the SETI@home clients die,
the window closes and all proceeds as expected. This part is true
regardless of whether or not I invoke reboot. A simple test with a detached
"sleep" command will also illustrate this behavior.

If you want an explanation, it'll have to come from someone who knows the
relevant innards of Cygwin, Windows and whatnot.

By the way, the "games" category under the Cygwin installer (setup.exe)
lists these putative games: "fortune" and "robots." I'm sure if you port
some others to Cygwin, they'd be cheerfully included in the distribution.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA