Re: cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:51:29PM -0500, Mack, Daemian wrote:
>Hi all.  I'm using Wise Installer to package and script an upgrade utility
>for Windows machines.  As part of this package, I'm using Cygwin's bash.exe,
>rsync.exe, and the latest cygwin1.dll.  At the moment, I'm just copying
>these three files to the hard disk on the target machine, then launching a
>bash.exe process with various arguments to rsync.exe to perform an rsync
>over the net.
>
>I've heard that the way I'm doing it might not be correct, mostly because
>the full setup of Cygwin provides registry entries concerning mount points,
>so that, for instance, the directive /cygdrive/c/windows/desktop means
>something to Cygwin utilities.

Cygwin doesn't need to use the registry.  It only does so when there are
actual entries.  It isn't required to have a root directory or a /bin
directory, etc.  The registry entries are either written by setup.exe or
mount.exe but neither is required.

>But what I'm finding with my testing is that every time I run bash.exe on a
>machine with no other Cygwin install, these registry entries are created
>dynamically.  I suspect cygwin1.dll is doing this when it's called by
>bash.exe.

If you're seeing this then you're running an older version of cygwin.  It's
possible that some of the registry "directories" might be created but there
should be no actual data.

cgf