Problems with local rsync on cygwin w2k

I am getting errors when I try and do a dry-run of a local rsync on cygwin
on windows 2000.  Here is an example command line:

/usr/bin/rsync --archive --dry-run --ignore-times --stats --verbose
/cygdrive/d/EarthBulletin/data/ /cygdrive/d/EarthBulletin/data_new/

It fails with the following messages:

rsync.exe.stackdump
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

Any ideas of what is wrong?  I've tried a few different combinations of
options.

And actually, the reason I am doing the dry run is that local syncing via
rsync on cygwin is pretty slow.  I wanted rsync to just figure out what
needs to be done, and then I'll use perl's File::Copy module which does a
system copy to actually copy the files, hoping this will be faster.  I got
about a gig of stuff to move around, so its a big issue for me.

--
Joseph Annino Consulting - Perl, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, etc.
jannino@jannino.com - http://www.jannino.com