RE: "LINES" environment variable

Stephano,

The result of these commands ...

         % strings /bin/bash.exe |egrep LINES

and

         % strings /bin/bash.exe |less
         [ type "/LINES<RETURN>" to search for "LINES" ]

... show three occurrences of LINES built into BASH and "less" lets you see
that each of these occurs in conjunction with the string COLUMNS.

So, my guess is that BASH is injecting these into the variable mix (but not
as exported environment variables) based on what the tty driver reports as
the terminal window dimensions. From what you say, the fact that LINES is
already set in the environment when the shell is invoked does not deter
BASH from (re-) setting those variables.

This setting / altering of LINES does not appear to happen when BASH is
invoked as /bin/sh.exe, so that suggests one work-around. Otherwise, just
set the variable manually in whatever script you're running or supply the
value as an argument, possibly via an -option. You could always just choose
a different name, too...

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA