Re: setup.exe

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:04:23AM +0000, Gareth Pearce wrote:
>>On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 06:31:01PM -0800, Michael wrote:
>>>Setup.exe seems to crash and burn rather ungracefully if setup.ini is
>>>missing it's timestamp and version lines at the top.
>>
>>Doctor, doctor!  It hurts when I do this...
>>
>>Luckily that will never be an issue for cygwin setup.
>
>I assume this is a statement that rolling your own setup.ini for ease of
>private instalations is not supported.  Even though it seems to be a
>regually suggested as a thing to do.

The purpose of setup.exe is to install cygwin.  I, and others, have
stated this over and over again.  If this is news to you, you really
haven't been paying attention.  I have never suggested that you "roll
your own".  Other people have indicated that they wanted to use
setup.exe for this purpose, though.

We didn't create setup.exe for your personal use.  You can, of course,
do whatever you like with the program but complaining that things don't
work well for your own personal use is going to be low on the fixing
ladder.  So, if you want something fixed, you should fix it yourself.
I'm sure that patches would be gratefully accepted.

And, just to forestall any future discussion:

1) I'm aware that not everyone is a programmer.

2) I know that not everyone has time to fix bugs.

3) I know that if we don't adapt setup.exe to be perfect for personal
   use, it will mean the death of cygwin, and possibly the entire
   computer industry.

cgf