RE: Why not a news server?

Actually, I didn't say that the news server should or has to replace the
email list.  I personally don't believe that is the case at all.
I was simply reiterating the major concern of the previous discussions on
this subject.  If the new server did replace the list, it was clear that
at least some members of the Cygwin community would perceive this as a
loss.  So the conclusion was that the news server must be *in addition
to* the Cygwin email list, not replacing it.  There was never any
dissenting remarks concerning the news server once it was 'decided' that
both could exist concurrently.  Also, I don't believe that anyone ever
believed it would not be technically possible to create and maintain both
the email list and the news server (which I believe is what your comment
about the PHP mailing list is meant to clarify).  The only thing that
has been missing in the past is the interest by someone to actually make
the news server a reality.

Sorry if my original explanation of the previous discussions on this
subject made my point unclear to you.